Housing @ Manchester Metropolitan University Students' Union (2024)

Looking for accommodation

Manchester Met Accommodation (halls) are usually for first year undergraduates.

There are lots of accommodation agencies in Manchester,Manchester Student Homes (MSH) is the only agency that is university approved. They advertise student houses and private halls of residence on their website.

Don’t rush into signing anything or paying any money – you’re signing a legal document and it’s very difficult to break the contract without the landlord’s agreement.

Never sign for a property without seeing it yourself, if possible. If you’re in a group, try to attend viewings together to ensure that you’re all happy before you sign. A good landlord/letting agent will be flexible for group viewings.

Think about where you want to leave and with whom.

If you live away from the University campus, you’ll also need to factor in travel costs when working out your budget.

Read about joint tenancies to find out more about what your contract states regarding your rights and responsibilities.

Wherever possible, speak to the current tenants about the property. Asking them a few key questions will help you decide whether it’s the right place for you:

  • Is the landlord professional and quick at responding to any issues?
  • Is the property easy/cost effective to heat?
  • How much do they pay for bills or are bills included?
  • Do they have any security concerns?
  • Are there any outstanding issues with the property?
  • Why are they leaving/would they rent the property again?

NUS have a useful Housing Checklist for you to use at each viewing.

A good landlord or agency won’t put you under pressure to sign a contract without letting you or someone else check over it first. Remember, a contract is a legal document so it's important to be sure of what you are signing up to. Before you sign anything, contact the Advice Centre and an adviser will talk you through it.

A joint contract is where you and your housemates sign the same contract for the property you will live in. This means you won’t only be responsible for your portion of the rent – all of you will be jointly responsible for the total rent for the property.

So, it’s important that you know and trust the people who you're going to move in with.

It’s common to be asked to pay a deposit and first month’s rent upfront when you sign up for a property. You may also be asked to pay a holding deposit of up to one month’s rent to secure a property while the landlord or agents carries out checks and draws up the tenancy.

If you then sign a tenancy the holding deposit should either be returned or put it towards a tenancy deposit or the first rent payment. Beyond these fees, most other upfront fees are now banned.

A guarantor is someone who signs a contract to say that they'll pay your rent if you don’t. Most private landlords will ask you to provide one before they let you rent the property.

If you can’t provide a guarantor, you can speak to the landlord about your situation to see if they can use any discretion.

Manchester Student Homes (MSH) advertises some properties that don’t need one (look for properties that meet the ‘International Friendly Standard’) or there are some private companies who will act as guarantor, but this is usually very expensive.

Moving into the property

  • How and when to pay the rent
  • Where the gas, electric and water meters are
  • Who the current utility suppliers are
  • How to work the heating system and where the thermostat is
  • How to work all appliances in the property
  • What the security alarm code is and how to use it.(It can void any contents insurance if the property has an alarm which is not used)
  • Does anything in the property require special cleaning methods such as wooden floors or carpets?
  • Ask for the keys for any windows and patios
  • What process you should follow to report disrepair
  • What day the bins are emptied on. Search for this information on the Manchester City council website
  • Who to contact about repairs
  • Find out how to complete an inventory (see next section)

An inventory is a list of all the fixtures, fittings and furniture at the property. You should complete one when you move in and note down the condition of everything in the property. Take some date stamped photos or video footage too.

That way, when you move out of the property at the end of your contract there will be a record of the condition of the property when you moved in. This should help avoid disagreements with your landlord and deposit deductions when you move out.

Some halls include contents insurance as part of the rent cost but in private rented properties this is unlikely. Check your tenancy agreement.

If insurance isn’t included, it’s advisable to get contents insurance to protect your personal items in case of accidental damage or theft.

Change your address with the university - this can be done on your MyMMU page.

Update your GP orregister with a local GP.

Register to voteonline.

Council tax

Most full-time students will not need to pay Council Tax. However, you still need to complete an online form for your council to let them the property is exempt from paying. Check here for Manchester City Council’s student-household form.

If any issues arise, contact the Advice centre immediately as you can face court fines.

Part-time students often will have to pay Council Tax, but you may be able to get some help with the cost. Contact the Advice Centrefor more information or check out Manchester City Council’s page on part-time students.

If you're a full-time student, request a copy of your Council Tax Exemption certificate on your Student Hub.

Utility bills

Yes, if you have a television in your property, use BBC iPlayer or watch live TV on your computer, tablet or phone you’ll be required to pay for a TV Licence. You can purchase a TV Licence online.

Whether you require one TV Licence for the whole property or one for each tenant will depend on your tenancy agreement. If you share with other people and have a joint tenancy for the whole property, you should only need one TV Licence, but if each tenant has an individual agreement for a specific room, then each tenant will require their own licence.

Who is my Gas andElectricity supplier?

If you're unsure who the supplier is at the property your landlord should be able to tell you. If not, you can ring the Meter Number Helpline on 0870 608 1524.

Yes - if you’re liable for the gas and electric charges in your property, you don’t need your landlord’s permission to change the meter or your supplier. However, your landlord can make you change both back to how things were at the start of the tenancy when you move out.

Yes, unless it’s included in your rent. The only water supplier for the Northwest of the UK is United Utilities so you'll need to contact them to set up an account and arrange payment.You can do this onlineor by phoning0345 026 7661.

Problems once you've moved into the property

This will depend on your tenancy agreement, but most don’t let you leave early. You usually sign an agreement to pay rent for a set period. Even if you move out early, the landlord will still expect you to pay your rent for the length of the agreement and may take you to court if you stop paying.

Usually, a landlord will only agree to release you from the contract early if you find someone else to move in and start paying your portion of the rent. You can advertise your room for free on theMSH website. If you’ve signed a joint tenancy and live with friends, then they would all need to agree that someone else can move into the property to replace you. Come and chat to an adviser about it.

See above FAQ. Sadly, even if you and your housemates can’t be in the same room at the same time, the landlord doesn’t have to let you end your contract early. You can explain the situation to the landlord to see if they can help.

The Advice Centre can offer mediation if you and your housemates want to try and make the best of things whilst you’re all living under the same roof.If this is impossible, please contact usfor more advice.

Contact the Advice Centre and you can talk through your situation with an Adviser.

We can check that you’re receiving the correct amount of student loan, we can advise you on managing any debts that you have, we can help you to set up a repayment plan with your landlord and we can also check whether you could be entitled to any extra financial support.

You may be able to apply to theMMU Day to Day Support fundfor some financial help. Be aware that you can be evicted if you don’t pay your rent, so come and see us as soon as you’re havingfinancial difficulties.

Yes we can. Legally it isn't that easy to evict someone, and your landlord will usually need a court order before they can make you leave.

If your landlord changes the locks whilst you are out this would usually be breaking the law. Email us any paperwork that you have (your contract, letters from your landlord, court papers, rent statements etc.). We can advise you on your rights and how you may be able to prevent eviction.

This can be a tricky one – sometimes it’s the responsibility of your landlord and sometimes it’s your responsibility as the occupier. Shelter breaks this down for you

If the cause of the pests is a dirty house or rubbish that has been left lying around, then it will probably be down to you to sort out. Manchester City Council has aPest Control teamfor properties in the Manchester area. However, they’ll charge to come out and treat the problem.

Contact usif you need more guidance.

Again, this isn’t straight forward. Sometimes the damp is caused by problems with the property such as leaks or disrepair, and this is the landlord’s responsibility. But your behaviour could also cause problems; drying clothes inside, not opening windows to let fresh air in, and not using extractor fans in kitchens and bathrooms can all cause condensation.

Shelter breaks it down further for you.

If the damp and mould is your landlord’s responsibility, then they should sort it out and Manchester City Council’s private housing team may be able to help if they won’t. Unfortunately, even if you can prove that the landlord is responsible for the damp you will usually still have to pay your rent.Contact the Advice Centreto see the options available to you.

Report the problem to your landlord and follow this up with a letter or email explaining the problem. Keep a copy of this as it will be evidence that you have contacted the landlord about the issue if you must take further action later. Read more about landlord/tenant responsibilities for repairs.

Contact us for further information.

Your landlord should only access your home for reasonable purposes, such as, to make repairs or to show prospective tenants around the property. They should give you 24 hours written notice before they visit unless urgent or emergency repairs are required. If your landlord keeps turning up unannounced or comes into your house without notice or permission, this may be harassment.

Shelter breaks this down to ensure you know your rights and includes a template letter you can use to let your landlord know your rights.

If they won’t stop this behaviour, contact us for more information or phone the police if you feel unsafe.

Problems at the end of your tenancy

Your tenancy agreement should explain how much notice you need to give your landlord of your intention to leave at the end of your tenancy. It’s important that you give your landlord the correct notice to leave the property, or you could remain liable for rent after you have left.

If there’s nothing in your tenancy agreement about this then and you have a fixed term agreement, you can end the tenancy by moving out and returning the keys by the last day of the fixed term. However, it’s still advised to give your landlord notice of your intention to leave prior to this.

If you’re still unsure, send us your contract and we can advise.

Your deposit should have been protected in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme and your landlord should've provided you with information when you moved in about which scheme was used and how to resolve disputes.

If you and your landlord disagree about whether there should be any deductions to your deposit, you can raise a free dispute with your deposit scheme. The scheme will look at the evidence and decide how much money should be returned. You cansearch the government websitefor the three schemes to find out which one holds your deposit. Contact us if you need any help.

Housing @ Manchester Metropolitan University Students' Union (2024)


How do I contact MMU accommodation team? ›

If you have a booking or are living with us currently, then please visit our moving in and life in halls pages for further information which may be of help. To find out more about our accommodation, please contact the student living accommodation team via email as accommodation@mmu.ac.uk or call us on 0161 2472958.

Is it hard to get into Manchester Metropolitan University? ›

The Manchester Metropolitan University acceptance rate is 80%.

Is Manchester Met accommodation first come first served? ›

We open for bookings, for new eligible students in March and receive thousands of applications each year, so the further along we are in the cycle, the less availability we have. Due to the demand of student accommodation in Manchester, it is unlikely we would be operating a waiting list.

Is Manchester accommodation first come first serve? ›

Apply online

For those who have made Manchester their top choice, and apply for accommodation before midnight preceding the release of a-level results, rooms will be allocated randomly. It is not first come first service, however students are able to list 5 halls they would like to live in.

How to pay for MMU accommodation? ›

You can pay the total rent in full when you select a room. Or, if you select University-owned or leased accommodation, you can pay £1,500 of the total rent as a pre-payment to secure the room. This pre-payment will be deducted from your rent overall.

How do I contact MMU exceptional factors? ›

If you have any queries about the processing of your personal data in managing the exceptional factors application process please contact the Exceptional Factors Team: E-mail: ef@mmu.ac.uk, Tel: 0161 247 6968.

Is Manchester Metropolitan University worth it? ›

Graduate Outcomes. Manchester Met put employability at the heart of your learning experience. That's why 93% of graduates are employed or in further study 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcomes survey 2020/21).

Is Manchester Metropolitan University prestigious? ›

Manchester Metropolitan University is ranked 501 in World University Rankings by Times Higher Education and has an overall score of 4.3 stars, according to student reviews on Studyportals, the best place to find out how students rate their study and living experience at universities from all over the world.

How long does Manchester Metropolitan University take to reply? ›

After you have submitted your application to our Admissions team, it can take up to three weeks to review your application. This can sometimes take longer during busier periods. As part of the process, we might ask you to provide more information, a portfolio or attend an interview.

What is the ranking of Manchester Metropolitan University? ›

Manchester Metropolitan University Rankings

Manchester Metropolitan University is ranked #750 in Best Global Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

How is Manchester Uni accommodation allocated? ›

If you have an unconditional offer for a course, we'll email you from June onwards in your year of entry to let you know which hall you'll be living in. If you have a conditional offer for a course, we'll assign you a room when this becomes unconditional.

Do Manchester Met give unconditional offers? ›

Unconditional offers

If you've already met all of the entry requirements for the course, we can make you an unconditional offer. You're more likely to get an unconditional offer if you've already got your exam results.

What to do if there is no accommodation? ›

Check how to get homeless help from social services. To find somewhere to stay ask your local council for contact details of hostels, night shelters, refuges and bed and breakfasts. You should first check if you can get emergency housing from your local council.

Can you change student accommodation? ›

Yes, you can ask to be rehoused. This will depend on your reason. The sooner you request a change, the better. If you live in private accommodation, you'll have to break your contract and find yourself somewhere else to live.

When should you start booking accommodation? ›

Make sure you do your research but move quickly. As mentioned above, a lot of students prefer to keep their options open and start looking for university accommodation around January time.

What is the phone number for MMU admissions team? ›

To apply for a part-time course, you will need to download our application form. You can contact us on 0161 247 6969 or contact course enquiries to request a copy of the form to be sent to you in the post.

Who is the head of residential services MMU? ›

Karen Horner - Head of Residential Services - Manchester Metropolitan University | LinkedIn.

How do I email MMU assessments team? ›

Please read the Assessment Mitigation Procedure, download an evidenced extension form, follow the instructions and then email GSresearchdegrees@mmu.ac.uk.

How do I email MMU student service Centre? ›


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Carlyn Walter

Last Updated:

Views: 6714

Rating: 5 / 5 (70 voted)

Reviews: 93% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Carlyn Walter

Birthday: 1996-01-03

Address: Suite 452 40815 Denyse Extensions, Sengermouth, OR 42374

Phone: +8501809515404

Job: Manufacturing Technician

Hobby: Table tennis, Archery, Vacation, Metal detecting, Yo-yoing, Crocheting, Creative writing

Introduction: My name is Carlyn Walter, I am a lively, glamorous, healthy, clean, powerful, calm, combative person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.